Once again we had incredible weather here at the Jersey Shore this past weekend. We were invited to a barbecue yesterday and I wanted to bring a big (vegan) salad along. I always come prepared with my portobello burgers in tow, and I like to know there is at least one side I can eat when I go to a cookout at someone else’s home. So, I threw together this Layered Taco Salad at the last minute and brought it along.
I’ve been eating a ton of Asian foods lately and I was really in the mood to switch things up and go with a fresh Tex Mex kind of flavor. I chose iceberg lettuce for my salad base because it is so crisp and refreshing on a hot summer day, but you could use any lettuce or leafy green you choose to build this Layered Taco Salad. I also used my homemade taco seasoning to season the beans, but you can use a store bought taco seasoning if it makes your life easier.
All of the ingredients are raw except for the black beans, making this salad a cinch to prepare in a hurry. If you’re invited to an impromtu barbecue this summer, you can whip up this colorful layered salad in no time and take it along to wow your friends.
- 1 small head iceberg lettuce, chopped
- About 1 cup of fresh cilantro, roughly chopped
- 1 15 oz can black beans
- 1 15 oz can yellow corn
- 1 vidalia onion, chopped
- 1 large tomato, chopped OR a handful of grape tomatoes, halved
- I avocado, peeled and cut into squares
- 1 jalapeno, finely chopped (remove the seeds if you don't want the heat)
- 2 limes, cut into wedges
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning
- tortilla chips
- taco sauce (optional)
- In a medium pan, heat black beans with taco seasoning, stirring to coat thoroughly - set aside
- Peel and cut avocado. Squeeze lime juice over pieces to prevent browning.
- In a large salad bowl, add lettuce, jalapeno and cilantro - mix well
- Start layering with corn, spreading it across the top of the bowl
- Add black beans on top of corn
- Sprinkle chopped vidalia onion over black beans
- Add tomatoes, then avocado
- Serve with tortilla chips and lime wedges
- Dress with taco sauce for an extra kick
Layered Taco Salad can also be enjoyed as a main course since it’s very healthy and loaded with protein and fiber. It’s perfect for those hot days when you don’t feel like cooking! Although this salad is beautiful layered in a glass bowl, it works just as well as a tossed salad which makes it even easier.
As always this Layered Taco Salad is vegan, and is also gluten free. Everyone you know will be able to enjoy this flavorful summer salad. And who doesn’t love tacos?
What are you eating this Meatless Monday?